MWSnap, screen capture utility
[ More programs ]
(click to zoom)
MWSnap is a small yet powerful Windows program for snapping (capturing) images from selected parts of the screen.
version is capable of capturing the whole desktop, a highlighted window, an active
menu, a control, or a fixed or free rectangular part of
the screen. MWSnap handles 5 most popular graphics formats and contains several
graphical tools: a zoom, a ruler, a color picker and a window spy. It can be
also used as a fast picture viewer or converter.
MWSnap does not require installation and does not need any special dlls,
drivers or system files which can mess up your system.
MWSnap is freeware, but your donations are
Download problems? Read this.
stable version: 3.00.0.74, 06 Jul 2002
Platform: any 32-bit Windows (including XP)
v.3.00 as Setup (recommended): site 1,
v.3.00 as ZIP file: site 1,
(601 KB) Be sure to unpack internal "Lang" subfolder!
Up-to-date languages pack: MWSnapLang.zip
(123 KB, 16 Mar 2003)
- 5 snapping modes.
- Support for BMP, JPG, TIFF, PNG and GIF formats, with selected color depth and quality settings.
- System-wide hotkeys.
- Clipboard copy/paste.
- Auto-saving, auto-printing.
- Auto-start with Windows.
- Minimizing to system tray.
- An auto-extending list of fixed sizes, perfect for snapping images for icons and glyphs.
- A zoom tool for magnifying selected parts of the screen.
- A ruler tool for measuring screen objects lengths.
- A color picker showing screen colors with separated RGB parts.
- Fast picture viewer.
- Adding frames and mouse pointer images.
- Multilevel configurable undo and redo.
- Multilingual versions.
- Configurable user interface.
- And more...
Available language versions
- Brazilian Portuguese translation by
Paulo Neto, http://www.layout.com.br
(Valencian) translation by Francesc B. Salas, firstname.lastname@example.org
(traditional, BIG5) translation by Tsung-Che Wu, http://cproxomitron.cjb.net
translation by Zdeněk Jantač, http://web.quick.cz/jantac.zdenek
and Vlamo, email@example.com
- Deutsche Übersetzung von Günter Lahner
- Dutch (Netherlands) translation by Johan Ditmar
- English translation by Mirek Wójtowicz, http://www.mirekw.com/
- French translation by By Nawshezaad Jaufeeraully,
translation by Xosé Antón Vicente Rodríguez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hungarian (Magyar) translation by Herczeg József Tamás, email@example.com
- Italian translation by Luca
Degani, firstname.lastname@example.org and di Alberto Bruschi,
- Macedonian translation by Aleksandar Savic, email@example.com
- Polski (Polish) tlumaczenie: Mirek Wójtowicz, http://www.mirekw.com/
(Portugal) translation by José Seabra
- Russian translation by Babenkov Eugeny
- Sloveski translation by
Iztok Zajc, firstname.lastname@example.org
translation by Alberto Borja, email@example.com
- Swedish translation
by Leif Larsson, Leif.Larsson@umea.se
I'd appreciate your help in translating the program
to other languages!
Some user comments
"Wow, what a fine job you did in making MWSnap!! I have been completely amazed at how many features it has for such a small
program! In fact, each time I checked to see if it had another feature that I was looking for... there it was, exactly as I hoped it
I have not found any other screen capture utilities to match it. I love the way it automatically saves each captured picture to the
folder of my choice, and in the format of my choice, so that I can keep capturing without having to bother with naming the files or
telling it where to put them.
I could go on and on... it has so many good features! Even the help menu is great! Thanks so much for taking the time to make
- Ed Gibbons, Baltimore Maryland, USA
"I thought Screen Seize of PC Magazine is the best and smallest
screen capturing, but after running MWSnap I found it a much better application.
I would rate it 10/10 for its usefulness and compactness."
- Tahir Mahmood
"I just want to thank you for your freeware program "MW Snap v 1.10".
It is helping me tremendously to take snapshots from data - graphs (charts) on my screen.
Thank you so much for your nice piece of software. I searched on the net for programs like the one you made, and I must admit:
The most important thing is not that your program is for free ... But the great thing is that your little screenshot program is just THE BEST !!!!!!
It has very nice features and produces no software bugs (at least not on my PC). This is important because I'm
running software full of financial data on my computer and the last thing I need is
software bugs or crashes. Thanks again for this tremendous piece of intelligent work."
- Luigi Cerizza
"I thought I would write you a quick email to say thank you for two such
great programs as PINs and MWSnap! I downloaded them from your web site almost a week ago - and have used both of them daily since!"
- Sue James
"What a joy to download software that is short (and easily downloadable), does the job (VERY WELL! ) and it's FREE. You're too good to be true. THANK YOU."
- Colin Woodhouse
"Just want to say up front that this is by far one of the easiest to use
and functionally perfect "screen shot" programs I've encountered. Better than the ones that I paid top $ for!"
- Don Collier
3.00.0.74, 06 Jul 2002
3.00.0.73 Beta RC2, 03 Jul 2002
- Repaired and restored the "Start minimized" option.
- A new option "Minimize on Close".
- Clicking the icon in the tray restores minimized program and minimizes the
3.00.0.71 Beta RC1, 28 Jun 2002
- A new color picker tool.
- More sound effects: confirmations, clipboard actions
- Preview panel can be hatched to improve the image visibility.
- A new configuration option - restore MWSnap after snapping.
- A new configuration option - always show program icon in tray.
- All dialog boxes save and restore their last screen positions.
- Updated program documentation.
- An error with the preview window appearing on the captured images removed.
- Repaired errors with minimizing and restoring.
- Repaired bug with repeating the last capture.
- Minor bugs removed.
- The option "Start minimized" has been
3.00.0.65 Beta, 18 Jun 2002
- An option for automatic checking if a new version of the program is available.
- A new version of the ruler tool, featuring higher accuracy, dynamic readings, and a bi-directional scale.
- Accept files dropped on the program window.
- Many minor bugs and translation problems removed.
- Adding mouse cursor pointers to snapped images.
- Adding configurable frames to snapped images.
- Multilevel configurable undo and redo.
- Improved capturing engine.
- Color picker - F4 key opens a dialog box with color details and several popular color notations (RGB, HTML, Delphi, and System).
- A new Window info tool, showing dynamically details of a window below the cursor.
- Ruler, Zoom and Window info tools are available in the local menu of the program's icon in the system tray.
- Ruler, Zoom and Window info tools can be invoked using system-wide hotkeys.
- Repaired bug in saving transparent GIFs.
- The ruler tool no longer causes MWSnap window to minimize.
- Dialog windows restore their last positions on the screen.
- Reorganized menus and toolbars.
- Minor bugs removed.
220.127.116.11 Beta, 22 May 2002
- Auto-printing (shortcut: <Ctrl+Alt+P>).
- Opening picture files, with support for gif, png, jpg, bmp, ico, emf and wmf formats.
- Picture Viewer panel, with options for opening, starting, renaming and deleting pictures.
- Pasting images from the clipboard.
- New Zoom in/out tools.
- Zoom step menu.
- Numeric pad '+' and '-' keys perform zooming in/out.
- Ruler tool - right-clicking the ruler pops up a local menu.
- Auto-saving shortcut remapped to <Ctrl+Alt+S>.
- Removed the obsolete 'stretch preview' option.
- Repaired bug with repeating of the last capture.
- Other minor bugs removed.
18.104.22.168 Beta, 04 Apr 2002
- Support for PNG images format.
- Improved color reduction algorithms in saved .bmp and .gif images.
- Repaired bug that could cause the marking rectangle to go into the snapped image.
- Support for multiple versions of the same language.
- Many minor improvements.
22.214.171.124 Beta, 27 Mar 2002
- Possibility to translate the user interface to any number of languages.
- Window snapping - possibility to capture child windows.
- Configurable sounds.
- Configurable displaying of the snap preview window.
- Printing - possibility to specify the count of copies.
- Windows XP Themes Manager compatibility.
- Enhanced visibility of the selection window.
- Improved error handling.
- Repaired bug causing settings not to be saved.
- Repaired bug with rotating snapped images.
- Corrected snapping of maximized windows.
v.2.00.0.40, 27 Nov 2001
- A bug removed causing MWSnap in some cases to crash at startup.
v.2.00.0.39, 18 Nov 2001
- Auto-saving after making a snap.
- Printing with optional scaling.
- Basic transformations: flipping and rotating.
- Show/hide preview window (F6 while making a capture).
- Preview box, zoom tool - an additional marker showing an exact cursor location.
- Minimize to system tray.
- Auto start with Windows.
- Start in minimized mode.
- Program documentation.
- Ruler with scale markings on both sides.
- Application title bar shows the name of the last saved image.
- Other minor improvements.